10/1/12

Business day!

Things are sorting out. I've been in contact with some well-known professionals in the horse business and am currently discussing doing artwork for their farms. I've also hidden the advertising for authors to kind of keep my sanity but still offer character design. This morning, I ended up going out to a wellness studio that's hanging a series of paintings that they commissioned me to do.

I recently bought a bunch of English tack so I can practice and keep in riding shape while I'm not training out at the farm, and so I can use it (it's old/beat up) to work with the younger horses so I don't have to wreck the barn's $6000 saddles if a young horse gets away from me.

Working on some other paintings. Found some time this weekend to write and outline a bunch and shut my editor up/calmed them down enough to stop harassing me all the time.

Had an interesting conversation via Facebook with my mom yesterday. I showed her a video of me working on conditioning a Grand Prix jumper and she goes "why are you riding ENGLISH?" like it was a dirty thing to do or something. She's always mocked the English tack, saying it was prissy or something, I don't know, I didn't pay close enough attention because it was always BS.

It was just humorous because for the past 8 years I've ridden nothing BUT English. The first time I've been in a Western saddles since I was 17 was last weekend when I went out to a friend's ranch to work with some of her youngsters. I told her that and she kind of goes "well this family never rode English."

"This family" rides casually at best, so it's not like I'm insulting some family honor. I DO have an uncle who is a professional rodeo rider but he's not actually related to me so he doesn't count.

I kindly explained that you CAN'T ride jumpers without riding English, and she just has no clue.

I missed being in the horse world. I really really did. I can't believe I bowed out for a whole 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment