5/24/12

So I'm writing a book.

Actually, two... at the same time. And writing always puts me in the weirdest of psychological roller coaster. I invest so much in my characters that I find my speech patterns changing to suit theirs, which might be okay if they weren't from a different era in time, which leads to certain oddities that aren't really said... anymore.

The other problem is that my speech is very impressionable. I learn well when I imitate things back to someone, so it actually comes out in my music too. I start to play like whatever musician has recently taken my attention. It's also why I work well as a visual artist. I see it, I imitate it on paper. But I'm kinda getting off-topic here.

My speech is very impressionable. This is a problem. Not really because I've started talking like my characters, that's more or less just amusing. But I have this habit of watching television as I write. Helps to keep me focused if there's something running in the background. However, I've been watching back-to-back episodes of multiple series as I work, and THEIR speech patterns are showing up in my WRITING.

I've got two modern shows on the go, one from Great Britain and one from the USA, so those are two accents and speech patterns different than mine... and then one from medieval times. But they've modernized it quite a bit and they're British too so maybe I'm not all THAT bad off.

But I've come to a point where suddenly one of my characters sounds like a completely other person. And I'm trying to beat a deadline, here, I don't have TIME for a character crisis. But beyond glaring at the tiny print on the bright white screen, I haven't found a very good solution yet. So I decided to take a break and do this... blog thing.

Is anyone out there? Comment this post up, help me out here? I'm kind of angry at my MC right now; I don't have time for her personality 180. Her and I aren't talking at the moment. Which is probably for the best!

It should only take a bit to fix, all I have to do is get the British out of her in the past two days of work. Maybe it isn't THAT bad. Maybe I should get back to work. Deadlines and all.

(The deadlines aren't real, I've invented them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment