5/31/12

Starving artist living off of a $40/mo grocery budget

You might say it's impossible, unhealthy, or even crazy, but for the past year my average grocery budget has been around $40. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to secure a few extra dollars, but for the most part $40 is sufficient. I do this mainly with large bags of rice, bulk noodles, and then very cheap sources of nutrients such as potatoes, dry beans, cheap veggies (onions, carrots), cheap fruit (apples), and so on. And discount bread if I can find it, and whenever peanut butter goes on sale, I'm there. I drink only water and milk, don't buy any sort of snack food, and I do just fine on this tiny budget. I do what I can.

But here's where the story gets awesome. Ian works as a line cook at a very high class restaurant, all gourmet, all day every day, and he gets free food. Especially if there's a buffet. So much food. And he lives with two freelancers, and he knows we're poor, so almost every day, at the end of the day, he brings home enough food to feed Laura and I for one or two meals. This is a huge relief on my finances.

So basically, for someone who lives off of $40 a month for groceries, I now eat pretty good due to a very considerate roommate.

I guess there are worse things than eating gourmet leftovers every day for dinner. Life got a whole lot better when this advantage rolled around.

No comments:

Post a Comment