7/10/12

The "look"

There's a look from people that I get when I tell them I'm a professional artist. It's along the lines of "I don't believe you" and "that's not a thing." As a socially quiet person, I tend to watch faces for emotional cues so I know when it's time to run for the hills and this is what I see in 90% of people.

Their eyebrows shoot up, their mouth closes, their eyes dart to the side quickly, and they usually do a teeny little head-bob. The response I get, regardless of their opinion is always "Really!" The ones who dislike the idea draw it out and their eyes go a little too wide for genuine interest.

The same reaction happens when I say that I'm a professional musician.

So I'm going to point something out, quickly. 90% of people think being an artist is SUPER COOL. Even when I meet other professionals I'm just in awe of their awesome skill and ability to use it for their career. Especially if they're more established than me. It's like a rock musician meets the boys of Zep every time I meet a well-known/famous artist (which happens because I freak out every time they come to the art gallery and go). People, especially those who can't draw, are genuinely impressed that I can draw. They love to LOOK at the paintings and the drawings and they think they're the most awesome things, and some even want some of their own.

However, what they don't like is that it's my job. They figure people should do it, but it shouldn't be a career. All the same goes for music.

I get the inevitable question "so what else do you do for work?"

And USUALLY, because more than half the time I lead with being a fine artist (despite the speech I typed out last week for you guys haha) I answer "oh, I gig. With a band."

And it disqualifies me from any real-life-grown-up opinions for the rest of the conversation.

And part of me gets really frustrated but the other just laughs, because recently I realized that I am literally living like a child, AND I'm making money off of it. Enough to pay my bills, anyways.

I don't ever have to grow up, SUCKERS. Until both the art and the music industry tank. Then I'll be in for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment