7/4/12

Stereotype checklist... sort of....

Okay so my last post about being a sudden stereotype had me wanting to procrastinate on writing more, so I started to analyze myself and found out that I don't have to worry about the stereotype thing because I already am one. Which is half depressing and half amusing. So I'm just going to list off things about me that are either assumed or pinned to artists.

Piercings/tattoos. I have 16 (15 in my ears, one in lip) piercings and one tattoo. That I, of course, drew myself.
Ratty/unkempt hair. My hair is scruffy and usually in a pony tail, though it IS clean.
Ratty/mismatched clothing. Jeans with holes in them, brimmed hats, paint-covered t-shirts, the good old cardigan, scuffed shoes and random jewelry, ripped up fabric belts/leather studded belts.
The messenger bag. Enough said. Extra points for being old and worn and covered in random things.
Insomnia/tendency to stay up all night.
Social awkwardness
Excessive consumption of coffee.
Notebook in hand. Always. No exceptions.
Apple products. Macbook, iPods (plural).
Huge headphones. Don't judge me, I use them for audio editing.
A blog. Though that's a more recent development.
Concern for the environment.
Contempt for angry people aka the hippy stance.
Aversion to real life/normal people jobs
Contempt of pants. Roommates are gone? It's time for underpants.
Dislike of shoes. I will go barefoot until it's going to cause me to get thrown out of somewhere/something or contract some form of disease through annihilating my feet. Also I run barefoot.
Slight mental encyclopedia. That annoying person who knows something about everything because all they do is hide from people and read stuff.
Repetitive/socially odd habits. Such as collapsing on the floor when I run out of ideas and throwing a balloon filled with sand at my ceiling for the next five hours.
Obsessive/compulsive tendencies.
Depression
Hyper activity in odd spurts
Socially unacceptable everything. Don't really know how to act in social situations. Probably why no one will talk to me.
Daughter, family is disappoint.
Uncanny knowledge of things on the internet, along with obscure references that make normal non-artists cringe.
Buying music instead of illegally torrenting it.
Love of fantasy.
Love of symphony music/movie soundtracks. AKA Hans Zimmer. If you don't know who he is, then screw you, go look him up. Lion King. Prince of Egypt. Gladiator. Inception. Pirates of the Caribbean. And SO many more. Pretty much all the badass put into one composer.

So I thought I would take this HUGE list and put it up against artist stereotypes I DON'T follow. Which ended up being pathetic.

Artists don't shower. I shower every day if not twice a day, it comes with my obsessive tendencies.
Frequenting of coffee shops. Screw that, I do my crap from home.
Hating government. I like our government. If you compare to a million other countries, Canada/USA rocks, go screw yourselves "99%."
Hating religion. I'm a Christian, so that's self-explanatory.
Excessive drinking due to depression. Last night I had a drink with Laura and she was all "holy crap this is so weird I never see you with alcohol." I don't know how artists afford that shit.
The thought that artists have to suffer for their art. I think that's bull.
Artists can't make a living/survive on their work and have to grab a day job (usually a coffeeshop job). Haha. Just because I'm poor doesn't mean I'm not surviving.

I think the stereotypes I DON'T follow are pretty okay, so I'm going to go about my happy life without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment